Green Italian Wedding Soup
- Small Bowl
- Large skillet
- Small pot
- Large pot
- ¼ cup panko breadcrumbs
- ¼ cup finely grated pecorino romano
- 1 egg
- ½ of a small onion grated
- 2 cloves garlic grated
- 2 Tbsp finely chopped fresh parsley
- ¾ tsp kosher salt*
- ¼ tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 4 oz ground pork
- 4 oz ground beef 80/20
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- ½ a bunch fresh parsley leaves
- 2 oz fresh basil leaves
- 1 cup cold water
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion diced
- 2 celery stalks diced
- 3 carrots peeled and diced
- ½ fennel bulb cored and diced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- Kosher salt and pepper to taste
- 6 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 2 bay leaves
- ½ cup pastina
- 3 oz baby spinach
- Lemon zest for serving
- grated pecorino romano for serving
- EVOO for serving
- For the meatballs, in a small bowl, mix panko, pecorino, egg, onion, garlic, parsley, salt and pepper until fully combined. Gently mix in pork and beef.
- Form mixture into small meatballs (between 10-12g).
- Heat 1 Tbsp olive oil in a large skillet. Add meatballs and sear all over, about 3-5 minutes (meatballs will finish cooking in the soup). Set aside.
- For the soup, bring a small pot of water to a boil. Add in parsley and basil and blanch for 30 seconds. Remove directly to an ice bath to shock. Squeeze out all excess water and place herbs in a blender. Add in cold water and blend until very smooth. Refrigerate until needed.
- In a large pot heat 1 Tbsp olive oil until hot.
- Add in onion, celery, carrots, fennel, and garlic and sweat until starting to soften, about 3 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
- Add in chicken broth and bay leaves. Bring to a boil and reduce to a light simmer. Add in seared meatballs. Simmer 10-15 minutes. Remove bay leaves.
- Bring soup to a boil and stir in pastina. Cook for 6-7 minutes, or until pastina is cooked. Turn off heat and wilt in spinach. Stir in blended herb mixture. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve topped with lemon zest, pecorino, fresh black pepper and a drizzle of EVOO.
*This salt amount is for diamond crystal kosher salt
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!