Roasted Pesto alla Trapanese
- Small baking dish
- Large pot
- Food processor
- 1 lb cherry tomatoes
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- Kosher salt and pepper
- ¼ cup roasted marcona almonds*
- 2 cloves garlic smashed
- ½ cup fresh basil leaves plus more for serving
- A small handful fresh mint leaves
- ½ cup grated pecorino romano plus more for serving
- ½ cup olive oil plus more for serving
- 1 lb linguine
- Turn broiler on high.
- In a small baking dish, toss tomatoes, 2 Tbsp olive oil, salt and pepper. Transfer to broiler and broil until charred, roasted and soft. Let cool slightly.
- Meanwhile, preheat a large pot of water over high heat.
- While water comes to a boil, prepare the pesto.
- Add almonds, garlic, herbs, pecorino and tomatoes to a food processor and blend until smooth but still a bit chunky .
- Add in olive oil and blend until smooth. Season with salt and pepper.
- Once water is boiling, heavily salt the water. Drop in pasta and cook until al dente.
- Once al dente, toss pasta with pesto. Add a generous amount of pasta water to thin pesto into a smooth, saucy, consistency. You will probably need more pasta water than normal!
- Season to taste with more salt and pepper.
- Serve topped with more olive oil, pecorino and torn basil leaves.
*I love using marcona almonds in this, but you can sub toasted silvered almonds too!
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!