Caramelized Fennel and Pear Tart
- Large skillet
- 2 Tbsp unsalted butter
- 2 medium yellow onions thinly sliced
- 1 medium fennel bulb thinly sliced (save some fronds for garnish)
- Kosher salt and black pepper to taste
- 1 egg
- 1 Tbsp water
- 1 sheet of puff pastry homemade or store bought
- 2.5 oz goat cheese crumbled
- 2 ripe bosc pears thinly sliced
- Olive oil for drizzling
- Thinly sliced fresh chives for serving
- Hot honey for serving
- Heat butter in a large skillet over medium heat until hot. Add in onions and fennel. Season with salt and pepper.
- Cook onions and fennel over medium low heat, stirring frequently, until they are deep brown and caramelized. Add splashes of water if a brown fond develops in the pan and scrape up the fond into the mixture. This should take around 45 minutes to an hour. Let cool completely.
- Whisk egg and water together to create an egg wash. Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 425ºF.
- Score (do not cut all the way through) a 1/2 inch border around the entire piece of puff pastry. Prick the inside all over with a fork.
- Spread out the fennel mixture evenly over the center of the pastry (leaving the border). Top with goat cheese.
- Fan out pears all over the tart in desired fashion.
- Drizzle pears with olive oil. Top with more black pepper.
- Egg wash the crust all over.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes until deep golden brown.
- Drizzle tart with hot honey. Sprinkle with chives and garnish with fennel fronds. Enjoy!
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!