Cauliflower Gouda Soup
- Olive oil for drizzling
- 1 (3 lb.) head of cauliflower roughly chopped into bite-size pieces, reserving 2 large florets for garnish later
- Kosher salt and pepper to taste
- 3 shallots small diced
- 3 cloves garlic grated
- ½ cup dry white wine
- 4 Tbsp unsalted butter
- 7 Tbsp all-purpose flour
- 4 cups chicken stock homemade or store-bought
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 6 oz shredded mild gouda plus more for topping*
- Sliced fresh chives for garnish
- Fresh dill for garnish
- Chili crisp to taste
- Lemon zest and juice to taste
- Sourdough bread for serving
- Coat the bottom of a large pot over medium heat with olive oil.
- Add in shallots and garlic and season with salt and pepper. Cook until shallots are soft and translucent.
- Add in cauliflower and cook to just soften slightly, about 3-5 minutes.
- Deglaze with white wine and reduce by ¾.
- Add in butter and melt. Stir in flour until fully combined with the butter.
- Add in chicken stock and stir to combine. Toss in bay leaf. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly, and reduce heat to medium low. Let simmer and thicken for 25-30 minutes, stirring every now and then.
- Remove the bay leaf. Turn heat to low and stir in cream. Add in cheese and stir to melt. Season to taste with more salt and pepper, if needed.
- Thinly shave the reserved cauliflower florets on a mandolin. Toss with chili crisp, lemon zest, lemon juice, and salt to taste.
- Serve soup topped with more grated gouda, chili crisp cauliflower, chives, dill and some sourdough on the side for dipping.
*You can also do 3oz smoked gouda, and 3oz mild gouda if you want a fun smokey taste 🙂
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!