Chunky Potato and Kale Soup
- Large pot
- Slotted spoon
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 3 oz pancetta diced
- 3 leeks trimmed, cleaned and thinly sliced
- 1 large bulb fennel cored and diced
- 5 garlic cloves minced
- 1 tsp fennel seeds
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1 ½ lbs. yukon gold potatoes peeled and cut into 1 inch chunks
- Kosher salt and black pepper to taste
- 5 cups chicken broth or veggie
- 4 sprigs fresh thyme tied together with twine if you have it!
- 2 bay leaves
- 5-6 cups chopped tuscan kale about 1 bunch with stems removed
- ¼ cup each chopped fresh parsley and dill plus more for garnish if desired
- Fresh lemon for serving
- grated pecorino romano for serving
- EVOO for serving
- Sourdough bread for serving
- In a large pot over medium heat, add olive oil and pancetta and cook until the pancetta is rendered and crisp. Remove with a slotted spoon and set aside.
- To the drippings, add leeks and fennel and cook until soft and translucent, about 8-10 minutes.
- Stir in garlic and cook 1 minute more.
- Add in fennel seeds and coriander and stir to coat.
- Toss in potatoes. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Pour in broth and bring to a simmer. Add in thyme and bay leaves. Simmer on low until potatoes are soft, about 12-15 minutes.
- Remove thyme sprigs and bay leaves. Stir in kale and simmer another 5 minutes to wilt the kale. It’s ok if the potatoes break up slightly as you stir, this is by design. It will give a nice hearty texture to the soup.
- Stir in fresh parsley and dill. Season with more salt and pepper if needed. I like a good amount of black pepper in this!
- Serve topped with a squeeze of lemon, pecorino cheese, a drizzle of EVOO, more fresh herbs, and some of the reserved pancetta.*
- Add a slice of sourdough on the side as well for a delicious meal!
*if the pancetta is too cold when you are ready to eat, you can always reheat it in a pan or in the microwave.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!