Creamy Broccoli Pasta
- Large pot
- Large Bowl
- Kosher salt and pepper
- 1 medium broccoli crown cut into florets (chop up them stem too!)
- 2.5 oz baby spinach
- 1 cup packed basil leaves
- 1-2 cloves of garlic smashed (2 will be a a strong garlic flavor!)
- ⅓ cup olive oil
- ½ cup grated pecorino romano
- 1 lb. short cut pasta of choice
- lemon zest toasted breadcrumbs, chili flakes, and extra virgin olive oil, for serving*
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil over high heat.
- Once boiling, season heavily with salt. Prepare a large bowl with an ice bath.
- Boil broccoli until fork tender, about 5-6 minutes. You want the broccoli soft so that it purees nicely! We aren’t looking for a crisp tender broccoli here. Once soft, transfer to the ice bath to shock.
- Next, blanch spinach and basil in the same water, for 30 seconds. Transfer directly to the ice bath. (make sure you keep the boiling water! We will use that for the pasta.)
- Once cold, squeeze all the excess liquid out of the spinach and basil. Transfer to a blender along with the drained broccoli, garlic, olive oil and pecorino. Blend until completely smooth. Blend, blend, blend! Season with salt and pepper as needed. Set aside.
- Drop pasta into the same boiling water and cook until al dente.
- Once al dente, strain pasta and add to a large skillet over low heat, along with a touch of pasta water. Pour in broccoli sauce. Toss to combine.
- Taste, and season with more salt and pepper if needed.
- Garnish with toasted breadcrumbs, lemon zest, chili flakes and olive oil.
*I just toast some panko in a skillet on the stove in some butter until golden. I also add a touch of salt and pepper.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!