Crispy Coconut Shrimp
Serves 4-6 as an app
- 3 Shallow bowl
- Sheet tray
- Large skillet
- 1 pound peeled and deveined jumbo shrimp (tails on)
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- ¼ tsp cayenne
- Kosher salt and pepper
- ½ cup all purpose flour
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup panko
- 1 ½ cups sweetened shredded coconut
- Vegetable oil for frying
- Sweet Thai chili sauce for dipping, or any desired sauce*
- Sliced chives or scallions for garnish
- Toss shrimp with paprika, cayenne, and salt and pepper to taste.
- Next prepare your breading station.
- Add flour to a shallow bowl. Place eggs in another shallow bowl and whisk.
- Mix panko and coconut in another shallow bowl.
- Dredge shrimp in flour, then egg, then panko mixture, making sure to evenly coat the shrimp in each step. Repeat with remaining shrimp. Place on a sheet tray and set aside while you heat the oil. (this rest time will allow the breading to adhere to the shrimp.)
- In a large skillet, add enough vegetable oil to come up about a 1/2 inch. Heat until hot, around 325-350ºF. (You can check by adding a bit of breading to see if it sizzles).
- Carefully add some of the shrimp to the pan and cook until golden, about 3-4 minutes (depending on shrimp size).
- Remove shrimp to a sheet tray lined with paper towel (and a rack if you have it!). Sprinkle with a touch of salt. Repeat the frying process until you have fried all the shrimp.
- Serve immediately topped with chives and your dipping sauce of choice on the side.
*I had this chili crisp syrup on hand so I used that, but sweet thai chili sauce would be my first go to for this 🙂
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!