Herby Smoked Fish Dip
- Medium sauté pan
- Medium bowl
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- ½ small onion minced
- ½ fennel bulb cored and minced
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- ½ tsp fennel seeds
- Kosher salt and black pepper to taste
- 6 oz of drained smoked tinned trout I used two of the trader joe’s smoked trout cans
- 4 oz crème fraîche or sour cream
- 1 Tbsp whole grain mustard
- 1 tsp prepared horseradish or to taste
- 1 lemon zested, plus more for serving
- 3 Tbsp chopped fresh parsley
- 3 Tbsp chopped fresh dill plus more for serving
- Extra virgin olive oil for serving
- Potato chips ritz, saltines, or toast for serving
- Hot sauce for serving
- Heat oil in a medium sauté pan over medium heat.
- Add fennel, onions, garlic, and fennel seeds. Season with a little salt and a good amount of black pepper.*
- Cook, stirring occasionally, until very tender and soft, about 10-12 minutes. You aren’t looking to brown the veggies, just slowly sweat them 🙂
- Transfer mixture to a medium bowl and let cool completely.
- Once cool, add in fish, crème fraîche, mustard, horseradish, lemon zest, parsley and dill. Gently fold to mix and flake up the fish a bit.
- Serve right away, or let chill in the fridge for an hour to let flavors meld.
- Serve any way you’d like, with chips, crackers, or toast!
* Don’t add too much salt here, as the tinned fish can be salty on its own!
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!