If you’re in the mood for something spicy, then this easy rigatoni recipe is perfect for you! This pasta is tossed in a creamy sauce made with Calabrian chilis, heavy cream, and tomato paste and then deglazed with a dry white wine. It’s comfort food at its best!
Why this spicy rigatoni is the best!
This spicy rigatoni recipe is sure to become one of your favorite dishes. Not only is it easy to make, but the combination of flavors makes it an incredibly delicious and comforting dish.
The Calabrian chilis give the sauce a nice kick, while the heavy cream and tomato paste create a creamy texture. Then, when you deglaze with a dry white wine, all of these flavors come together to create something truly amazing!
Not to mention that this spicy rigatoni recipe is perfect for a date night in. You can make it together, then kick back and enjoy it while you cozy up on the couch.
What’s better than that?
Kitchen equipment needed
To make this spicy rigatoni recipe, you will need:
- Measuring cups and spoons
- Large pot
- Large skillet
Note: Check out the recipe card below for a full list of ingredients and instructions on how to make this Italian focaccia bread.
Are you as excited as I am to make some saucy rigatoni? Here are a few cooking tips I’ve made note of to make sure I make the best bowl of pasta:
- Use your favorite kind of pasta. My go-to for this recipe is rigatoni but penne or ziti also work fantastic. Just like the rigatoni, these two types of pasta are ideal for being able to coat each piece of the pasta evenly with the sauce!
- Don’t break the bank for wine. Instead, get a budget-friendly white wine specifically meant for cooking. Make sure it’s a dry wine as it compliments well with the cream and tomatoes.
- The spicier, the better! Add more chiles or some extra red pepper flakes.
- Can’t find chiles? Use crushed red pepper flakes instead of Calabrian chili.
- Don’t overcook the pasta. This recipe calls for al dente pasta, which should take about 8 minutes in boiling water. It will continue to cook for another minute or two when you add the pasta to the saucepan.
- Grate your own cheese! I highly recommend buying a block of pecorino romano or parmesan cheese and grating it yourself. It adds a much better flavor and texture than pre-grated cheese. Trust me on this!
I hope you enjoy this easy rigatoni recipe. If you love this recipe and want to learn how to make other fun recipes, follow me on TikTok and save some of my cooking videos.
Check out these other pasta recipes:
- Baked Spicy Vodka Pasta With Parsley Pesto
- Spicy Creamy Ditalini
- Linguini with Spicy Red Clam Sauce
- Herby Spaghetti with Anchovy Butter
- Creamy Broccoli Pasta
Creamy Spicy Rigatoni Recipe
- Large pot
- Large skillet
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 small onion finely chopped
- 5 cloves garlic thinly sliced
- 2-4 Calabrian chilies chopped*
- 1-4.5 oz tube tomato paste
- ½ cup dry white wine
- ¾ cup heavy cream
- 1 pound rigatoni
- ¾ cup grated pecorino romano plus more for serving
- Kosher salt and pepper to taste
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil over high heat to cook pasta.
- Meanwhile, heat a large skillet over medium heat. Add onions and garlic and cook until softened.
- Add chiles and tomato paste and cook until tomato paste beings to darken in color, about 2-3 minutes.
- Deglaze with wine and let reduce slightly.
- Stir in cream and season with salt and pepper. Turn heat to low while boiling pasta.
- Season boiling water heavily with salt. Drop in pasta and cook to al dente.
- Drain pasta and add to pan with sauce. Add cheese and stir along with splashes of pasta water to create a creamy, emulsified sauce.
- Serve garnished with more grated cheese and black pepper.