Stovetop White Cheddar Mac and Cheese
- Large skillet
- 2 Tbsp unsalted butter
- ½ small onion minced
- 1 garlic clove minced
- 2 cups elbow macaroni
- 2 1/2-3 cups chicken stock vegetable stock or even water!
- 2 cups shredded white cheddar you can use any good melting cheese you’d like!
- ¼ cup finely grated parmesan cheese
- 3 Tbsp heavy cream
- ¼ tsp paprika I used smoked paprika
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- Toasted panko breadcrumbs I just toast them in a pan on the stove with some butter and a touch of salt
- In a large skillet, heat butter over medium heat until melted. Add in onions and garlic and cook until softened. Season with salt.
- Add in elbows and stir to coat.
- Add in about 1/3 of the chicken stock and cook over medium heat, stirring until most of the liquid is evaporated.
- Repeat this process until the pasta is al dente and there is a bit of liquid remaining in the pan. You want to maintain a simmer (not a full boil) through this process so that the pasta cooks gently and all the liquid doesn’t cook off without the pasta being able to absorb it and cook through.
- Reduce heat to low and stir in cheeses until fully melted.
- Season to taste with salt.
- Stir in cream and paprika.
- Garnish with toasted panko and freshly ground black pepper if desired. Serve.
*This can be doubled! Just need to use a larger pot.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!