Brown Butter Cornbread with Scallion Jalapeño Butter
Makes 1 10 inch cornbread
- 10“ cast iron skillet
- Small Pan
- Large Bowl
- Medium bowl
- 5 Tbsp unsalted butter
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 2 eggs
- ¾ cup sour cream or creme fraiche
- ½ cup buttermilk
- ¼ cup honey
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- 3 Tbsp unsalted butter
- 1 stick 4 oz unsalted butter very soft
- 2 scallions thinly sliced
- 2 Tbsp finely chopped pickled jalapeños
- 1 Tbsp honey
- Kosher salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 425ºF. Place a 10 inch cast iron skillet in the oven as it preheats.
- Meanwhile, brown the 5 Tbsp butter in a small pan over medium heat. You want a nice toasty smelling dark brown butter. Set aside as you prepare the rest of the batter.
- In a large bowl, whisk cornmeal, flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- In a medium bowl, whisk eggs, sour cream, buttermilk, honey, and brown sugar.
- Mix wet into dry until just combined. Careful not to over mix!
- Stir in reserved brown butter.
- Remove cast iron from the oven and add in the 3 Tbsp of butter. Once butter is melted, add in batter and spread out evenly.
- Place in oven and bake 15-20 minutes until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cornbread comes out clean.
- While the cornbread bakes, prepare the butter.
- Mix the softened butter, scallions, jalapeños, honey, salt and pepper until fully combined. Set aside to eat with the bread.
- Remove cornbread from oven and let cool 5 minutes. Serve warm with scallion jalapeño butter.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!