Buttery, Cheesy, Noodles with Anchovies
- 4 cups water
- 4 oz spaghetti
- 3 Tbsp butter
- 3-5 anchovies depending how much you like!
- ¼-⅓ cup grated pecorino cheese plus more for serving
- 2-3 handfuls of any greens such as spinach, kale, or arugula (optional)
- Kosher salt and pepper to taste
- Add water to a large, wide, skillet (something that will fit the pasta!) and bring to a boil.
- Once boiling, add in the pasta and stir. Do not salt this water! I know it sounds crazy, but the pasta will become too salty if you do!
- Cook pasta until just a tad under al dente, stirring almost constantly, so the pasta doesn’t stick! This is essential because we aren't using much water here.
- Drain off most of the liquid (and reserve), leaving just a touch to create the sauce.
- Turn heat to very low, add in anchovies and butter, and stir until melted. Add more pasta water as needed to create a nice saucy consistency.
- Fold in the cheese and stir until melted, adding more pasta water if needed.
- Turn off heat and wilt in greens, if using.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste. Try it before adding any salt, as it may not need any at all!
- Serve topped with more cheese and fresh black pepper.
*This is best made as a single serving meal. I would only recommend, at most, doubling this recipe!
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!