Eggs in Purgatory
Serves 4 people
- Large skillet
- 3 garlic cloves sliced
- 3 anchovy filets
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 28 oz can whole peeled tomatoes hand crushed
- ¼ tsp red chili flakes
- ¼ cup pecorino romano
- 5 large eggs
- ¼ cup ricotta
- Fresh basil leaves
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Toasted bread for serving
- In a large skillet, over medium heat, cook garlic and anchovies until aromatic and garlic has softened.
- Add red chili flake and hand crushed tomatoes.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Simmer tomatoes on low heat for about 20 minutes, stirring occasionally until sauce has thickened.
- Stir in pecorino.
- Make little beds in sauce and add eggs to bed.
- Cover pan and cook on low until egg whites have set and yolks are still runny. About 5 minutes.
- Top with ricotta and basil and finish with flake salt and olive oil.
- Enjoy with toasted bread!
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!